Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Journal #2: School 2.0 Reflection Tool

Step 1:  Took this technology evaluation test...looks like NETS-T III needs some work!

Step 2:  Checked out the suggested Resources for NETS-T III and read the following article from the ISTE Journal.

Warlick, D. (2009). Grow your personal learning network. Learning & Leading with Technology, 12-16. Retrieved from www.eric.ed.gov/PDFS/EJ831435.pdf

Summary:  Author David Warlick argues that at this current time technology has effected a change in the way learners (including classroom teachers) find information they seek.  He maintains that no longer do we have to go out and physically search for books, articles, or qualified mentors full of helpful wisdom.  Instead, we can use computer technology to enlarge the pool of available information, have web access to mentors from other regions, and have programs (?) that search the vast web on our behalf.

       This article was was helpful to me in three ways.  First, Warlick clearly defined the three main types of personal learning networks (PLNs) that I can expect to construct.  Based on these definitions I could clearly see that habitually I am most comfortable using the traditional PLN--actual people and places consulted in person to answer questions, solve problems, etc.  This would include staff meetings, peer coaches, and teacher conferences.  I have also begun to use technology to expand this traditional network via participation in forums like listserv discussions.  Warlick's description of semisynchronous connections was enlightening and showed me that I up until recently I did not think of Facebook or Twitter as more than interesting but time-consuming techno-gadgets.  I have not worked to analyze how I could these tools in the context of "real" education.  If PLN type 2 was intriguing, then PLN type 3 was revolutionary!   I had never heard of an "RSS aggregator," but it was encouraging to learn that there is technology to help us sort through and identify relevant content in the huge ocean of available information.

     Next, I appreciated Warlick's sidebar of tips for creating a PLN, "Keep It Simple."  One of my issues with the new technology is that I find the sheer mass of information overwhelming and feel like I don't have enough hours in the day to answer e-mails, grade papers, plan ahead for lessons, take care of my children, spend time with my husband, catch up with friends and relatives...AND sort through hundreds of Facebook posts, or Tweets, or "helpful" websites!  Warlick's recommendation to "start small" and his suggestions for organizing folders in your aggregator, for example,  helped to address my concerns.

      Finally, I was glad that Warlick provided lists of specific aggregators along with their websites so that I could spend some time learning about these tools.  I searched Delicious for educational sites, visited ning.com, pageflakes.com and even found a helpful assignment I can use in my classroom on a new blog I located through google blog search.  So far I am understanding what I am learning much better than I anticipated...seems like some of my frustration with technology was rooted in not dedicating a block of time for exploring and learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment