Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Journal #5: "Are Computer Labs Obsolete?"

'365.203 - Concave At Computer Lab' photo (c) 2010, Al Ibrahim - license: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/

Parker, J., & Telep, T. (2012). Point/counterpoint: Are computer labs obsolete?. Learning & Leading with Technology, 40(1), Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/learn/publications/learning-and-leading/issues/Point_Counterpoint_Are_Computer_Labs_Obsolete.aspx.  

Summary:  This article provides two opposing views on the current usefulness of school computer laboratories.  Jessica Parker asserts that computer labs are so last century: full of outdated equipment and reliant on tired pedagogical practices.  She believes they should give way to portable wireless devices that are integrated into the classroom.  In contrast, Tim Telep argues that instruction in a computer lab has its place in the 21st century, providing support and ensuring that technology use in individual classrooms is as efficient and beneficial as possible.

Question #1: Is it really feasible or beneficial to banish the computer lab from campus?

Answer:   No, it’s not feasible OR beneficial! While I admire Parker’s visionary enthusiasm, it is unrealistic to assume that all students are going to be able to own iPads, or smart phones, or even lap tops.  Even if they did, there are still issues of standardization of apps and capabilities. Plus, technology improves at light speed, so as soon as one classroom of kids all has their equipment, it’s outdated!  I live in an affluent state in an affluent country and I can tell you that not all of my students can afford to have a portable wireless-ready device in class each day.   

I really like what Telep says: “Direct instruction in computer skills in a lab doesn’t compete with technology use in the classroom, it improves it.  What takes place in the lab gives students the confidence to use technology effectively in other classes.”   This resonates with me because, due ED 422, I am trying to get my students working on computers more in class.  I figured that once I got up to speed, it would be easy to do computer work in class because the kids are so skilled.  BUT, I was quite surprised at the time it took to walk the kids through signing on, getting an edmodo account, etc.  They weren’t as skilled as I’d anticipated…and I think that lack of a computer class (axed 4 years ago in favor of fine arts during an ACSI accreditation review) in our curriculum is partly to blame. 



Question #2: How do we go about getting up-to-date equipment into the hands of all students?

Answer:   The more articles I read in the ISTE journal, the more I think that this question needs to be addressed before we worry about having favicons on our blogs or QR codes on our bulletin boards.  The technology use in any teacher’s classroom is only as strong as the “weakest link.”  It only takes one or two students without computer and/or Internet access and the process grinds to a halt.  Having a computer cart available, or a class set of iPads is not good enough.  As I am learning about these new technology tools it’s great to have Professor Heil showing us things step-by-step on the giant screen at the front and walking through the lab to help us individually.  However, I haven’t really mastered a new tech skill until I can succeed at home on my own computer, or even better, show a friend how to do what I’ve earlier learned in class.  Students must have access to computers at home AND at school in order to reach this same level of proficiency.  This is going to require a huge re-allocation of funds and/or a huge level of commitment...not to mention a paradigm shift away from standardized tests.






No comments:

Post a Comment